Headaches seem to be a fact of life for most adults. Whether dealing with work stress, too little sleep, bad diets, or troublesome people – there are many triggers for headaches and worse, migraines. Most people turn to over the counter pain treatments to try to stave off the pain, and many find that prescription medications are necessary.
But these days, many people are searching for homeopathic and natural remedies for all of their ailments, not just headaches. Here are some ideas for how to get pain-free without taking any possibly addictive and harmful drugs – or at least greatly alleviate and relieve your suffering.
Managing Your Headaches Without Drugs
Regular headaches cause stiffness in the neck, shoulder and scalp; while migraines typically involve throbbing pain on one side of the head (and can also include auras, nausea or blurred vision).
If you are prone to headaches, you can start by avoiding those substances which are most commonly associated with the onset of pain. These include:
* MSG (monosodium glutamate)
* Excess alcohol or caffeine
* aspartame in artificially sweetened food
* phenylethylamine found in some chocolate and cheese
* tyramine found in fermented meats and soy
A drop in blood sugar can trigger a headache, so eating healthy food may help. Dehydration is also a common culprit, so be sure to drink plenty of water.
Tech Tip: If you start feeling the beginning of a headache, you should avoid your phone, laptop and TV.
More Tips to Avoid Headaches
- Ginger is one of the most common home remedies for headache pain. It reduces inflammation of blood vessels, relieving the pain. Ginger also aids digestion, and can help to alleviate nausea. You can make tea from ginger root, or mix ginger and lemon juice. Finally, you can make ginger paste to apply directly to the forehead. Cloves can also be used to combat a throbbing headache. Crush a few cloves and put them in a cloth or sachet. Breathe deeply until the pain begins to ease. Adding crushed cloves to coconut oil can also make a topical treatment.
- eppermint oil contains menthol, which can help to regulate and open blood vessels which have become clogged and are causing pain. Peppermint oil can be added to almond oil and used directly on the skin to massage the pain; or peppermint can be used to make herbal tea. Lavender oil is also wonderful for easing the pain of headaches. Inhaling the scent directly can be beneficial, and it can be added to boiling water to make healing steam. Lavender oil should not be ingested, but can be added to olive oil and applied directly to your forehead or temples. Thyme or rosemary essential oils have similar healing properties.
- Cinnamon paste can be applied directly to the forehead and temples as well. Mix cinnamon powder with water, make a paste and rub into your forehead before laying down and resting. Basil leaves can make a strong and potent tea which will help to relax muscles, ease tension and relieve pain.
- Stretching and basic exercise can help to reduce the severity of your headache. Move your chin up, down, left and right, or bend your neck towards either shoulder. Rotate your neck in both directions to relax your shoulder and neck. Yoga exercises can also help to keep your body relaxed and tension free, and deep breathing will also help to relieve the pain.
- Ice packs can be used to combat migraines, and when applied to the back of the neck can reduce inflammation and numb pain. Soaking your feet in hot water can cure a headache, but when the pain is stubborn, add hot mustard powder to the water.
- Apples and apple cider vinegar can help to restore a patient’s acid-alkaline balance. Inhaling the steam of apple cider vinegar boiled in water can do wonders for sinus headaches. Eating an apple sprinkled with salt will help if you woke up with a headache= just be sure to drink some warm water as well.
Finally, regular chiropractic treatments may be the best natural treatment you can employ to keep headaches at bay. Spinal manipulation will ease pressure, relax muscles, and align the vertebrae – all of which can help to avoid the onset of spinal-related headaches.
Call West Coast Wellness today to learn more about proactively fighting against headaches and migraines.
Welcome to West Coast Wellness we offer services such as Auto Injury, Neuropathy, Back Pain, Knee Pain, Whiplash, Pinched Nerve, Ringing in Ears, Why Chiropractic Care?, Shoulder Pain, Neck Pain, Headaches, Spinal Disc Restoration, Electromedicine, Herniated Disc Treatment, Degenerative Disc Disease
Read more of our blogs.